Oh hi. This is Anj. Yo. Heyaaaaaaa.
Yeah guys. I’m back. Temporarily. Stick around.
*Anj’s Ramblings is a monthly feature where Anj rants about the things that have been a huge part of her life, certain things she’s passionate about and mundane things that you shouldn’t be reading about, but you are here anyway. It will also feature a lot of dramatic narration, sass, and wayyy more sarcasm than the normal level of what human beings can take in*
Earlier on, in July, I announced my hiatus here. And bam. Two months just drifted by, and I cannot believe it. Why was I away, you ask?
- Exams. Preps.
- READING+BLOGGING SLUMP.
That’s right. You heard right. A READING AND BLOGGING SLUMP. That is a reader’s worst nightmare. Guess what? It came true. *cue black and white filter* They say that your wildest dreams come true, but they forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams too *le dramatic pause* You teared up a little there, didn’t you? Didn’t ya? DIDN’T YAAAAA? Dear Anj, please stop. You’re making people cringe. Besides, you’re saying it wrong. It’s a sigh not a sighhhhhhh.
Alright, you guys are still reading this? Damn. You smart. You loyal. Use Lilly Singh’s voice here.
I know, my jokes are the worst jokes in the world. My jokes are so bad that even my puns cringe at the sight of my jokes. Well, my puns are bad too and that’s saying something. Anyway, my lovely soul sister Shruti @ thisislitblog wrote a post about the despicable blogging slump. And I order you all to read it this very minute. GO. Shruti, being the sweet pea, as always, tried to persuade me to start writing posts. And one about my blogging and reading slump. If I am typing this now, it’s because of her. Teddy hugs from Anj ❤
I’ve obviously veered off-topic now. Without further ado*after all the ado* let’s get started.
What d’you mean by this, huh? Are reading slumps movies? So you’re saying that you have a pre-production unit for slumps and then a post production too? Man. Here are some scenarios when you are at your most vulnerable self:
- You had a great month of reading/blogging? SOMETHING’S COMING YOUR WAY. JUST YOU WAIT. JUST YOU WAIIIIT.
- Aw, you bought a lot of new books? Well, someone’s not going to be reading them soon. *drops mic*
- Darling, you did a great job in the readathon. Don’t you think you need a rest. (whispers) for 2+ months?
- OH look, you’re favourite booktuber just uploaded a video! Watch that! Now, watch this. Watch all of them. Binge watch. Yaaaaas.
- Imma be your best friend and stop your brain from concentrating on reading because you definitely need a break. Jeez.
- Back-to-school? More like Back-to-the-mundane-world. Hope you have a great year, tearing clumps of your hair out because all the projects and exams are going to need a lot of space in your brain and outside your brain. Just tear the hair out. You’ll have a bigger surface area even outside your brain for storing things.
- Are you obsessed with sports? OR CRICKET? *LE SPECIFIC* Get ready to step into the television screen because who needs tickets to watch the match at the stadium?
- Sleep? Yes. Books? Too tired. Sleep? Yes. Reading? Too tired. Why? School.
- Let’s go to the library. Unfortunately, the books you need the most have been borrowed. You pick up a random book that puts you out of the reading mood. Damage done.
- When you’re too committed to listening to music that you abandon your love for the written word temporarily.
- Procrastination. Cuz it’s a nightmare dressed like a daydream.
- Your brain is already doing somersaults that makes you feel dizzy even looking at school books, which quickly changed into books in general.
So, there you have it.
WARNING: The events that followed Anj’s pre-slump period were disastrous. Read at your own risk.
2. The Slump.
And that day finally came. I couldn’t drag myself to read and write blog posts. My slump’s effect on my reading was even more impactful than the solar eclipse. I live in India, so I obviously couldn’t observe the eclipse, but I could feel the impact. And it was the same with my reading/blogging slump.
Fellow readers, if you remotely resemble this gif at times, then you’re experiencing a reading slump. The duration depends. It might last for 2 minutes like an eclipse or last for half-a-year.
If you feel a sudden urge to drop everything and act like someone ate your pizza*i.e experience sadness* , here are few songs that fit the mould:
- Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri.
- Someone like you by Adele.
- Praying by Kesha.
- Video Games by Lana Del Rey .
- Almost Lover by A Fine Frenzy.
Once you’re done mourning your situation, you gotta rebel. And here are the songs that might just help you do that.
- Centuries by Fall Out Boy.
- Soldier by Fleurie.
- Believer by Imagine Dragons.
- New Americana by Halsey.
- Not Afraid by Eminem.
Gawd. Anj, you’re turning this into a playlist post. But, music helps you fight off slumps. Believe me. Just don’t get too immersed in it. You’ll find yourself sleeping.
And you suffer. You suffer. You suffer. You suffer.
One day, you find the silver lining in the dark clouds hovering over you. And you decide to prode further. All of a sudden, a beam of sunlight appears, dazzling you with its golden light. That’s when you realise that life is too short to keep whining and not read. You take a brave step towards your bookshelf and pick a book up. And then you look up to the heavens and thank the Lord for being merciful.
Anj. Stop dramatising every thing you say. You’re not a Shakespeare. He will be the only one. You can’t match his brilliance.
OF COURSE. I’LL GIVE HIM A RUN FOR HIS MONEY BY BEING DAMN HILARIOUS THAT HE CAN’T CONTROL HIS LAUGHTER AND STARTS ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING. Yes. I will. *sticks tongue out*
You people still out there reading this weirdass post? Good.
After a serious bout of reading and blogging slumps, readers are requested to take care of their brain and keep it cool. A break from reading is suggested now and then. Good luck.
Now that you’re finally out of the reading slump, it’s time to party. But, don’t overdo it. Or else, you are going to experience another terrible slump. I have warned you.
Things to do without fail when you’re completely out of the reading/blogging slump (notice how I italicised ‘completely’? ) :
- Take a breath.
- Dance like there’s no tomorrow even if you suck at it.
- Blast Macarena on the radio.
- Use books as dumbbells and get going with that resolution you took at the beginning of the year(to remain fit)
- Bask in the warmth of books.
- Thank God.
AND THAT’S IT! Hope you guys liked my comeback. Even if it’s temporary. I swear that this is even greater than Kesha’s comeback with ‘Rainbow’. Just kidding. I adore Kesha. She has to be one of the strongest women out there.
How did you survive your reading slump? Lemme know! Oh and song recommendations? I really want to listen to new stuff !
Thank you for reading this post, beautiful people!
-Until Next Time,