THIS POST IS A SCHEDULED POST.
*Anj’s Ramblings is a monthly feature where Anj rants about the things that have been a huge part of her life, certain things she’s passionate about and mundane things that you shouldn’t be reading about, but you are here anyway. It will also feature a lot of dramatic narration, sass, and wayyy more sarcasm than the normal level of what human beings can take in*
What I don’t understand: Why are paperbacks so underrated? Sure,there are a lot of paperback lovers out there, myself being one of them, but most people prefer hardbacks so damn much. I adore the looks and the feel of a hardcover, the nice sturdy covers that they have. Yet, I seem to be a paperback person. Not by choice, but by default, though if offered a choice, I’d definitely choose paperbacks. Paperbacks are easy to carry around; easier to handle and what’s more, they are not heavy and are comparatively lighter than hardcovers. And let’s face it, as far as affordability is concerned, the paperback wins. I ain’t giving my bucks just for one single hardcover when I could be buying two or why, even three paperbacks for the same amount. Don’t get me wrong, I flip out when I come across good deals with hardbacks and they instantly make me want to buy them. AND THEN, WHEN I CLICK ‘BUY’, THE WEBSITE SAYS THAT THEY’RE NOW OUT OF STOCK. WHAT PERFECT TIMING. Okay. Calm down, Anj. Let’s do this.
*all gifs from le interwebs*
THE PROS OF PAPERBACKS:
- Economically preferable.
- Easier handling.
- Throwing them in your tote bag when you’re going out: PERFECT.
- Lighter and DO NOT HURT YOU WHEN THEY FALL ON YOU.
- Are very co-operative as they let you haul dozens of them without you heaving or panting or sweating (Jk, they’re as savage as hardcovers when it comes to inflicting injuries)
- Did I mention that they give happiness to your wallet?(or your parents’ wallet?)
- They’re the format of books which can be accessed easily.
- Awesome, because YOU MAKE YOUR PARENTS FEEL HAPPY!
THE CONS OF PAPERBACKS:
- ARE VULNERABLE LITTLE BEANS.
- Get damaged pretty quickly.
- Do not have beautiful dustjackets.
- Extremely dainty and delicate (oh well, this is the same point written in a different way)
- Vicious monsters can tear the covers off without even sweating it out.
- Heavily underrated because, paperbacks have a big brother, ‘the hardcover’ who overshadows him. #poorsweety
THE PROS OF HARDCOVERS:
- Stronger than paperbacks.
- Have dustjackets and under-the-jacket beauty.
- Have a ‘classic’ look of what a book should look like, according to some old souls.
- Literary snobs find them more exquisite.
- A bookworm’s heaven.
- DECKLED EDGES AHH.
- JUST PRETTYYY.
THE CONS OF HARDBACKS:
- DUDE WHY YOU SO HEAVY?EVERY TIME I TRY LIFTING A STACK OF YOU GUYS, IT FEELS AS IF I’M WEIGHT-LIFTING.
- Overpriced. DAMN.
- Overshadow my poor babies..the paperbacks.
- EXPENSIVE. WHYYY
- All the new releases are in the hardcover format. Please publishers, do publish the majority of new releases in the paperback format too. I know that few publishers publish new-releases in both the formats simultaneously,but I WANT EVERY SINGLE PUBLISHER ON THIS PLANET’S SURFACE TO DO THE SAME. #worlddomination.
- COSTLY. COSTLY. COSTLY.
- Did I mention that they’re wayyyy more expensive than paperbacks? YES? uhh. WHY YOU SO EXPENSIVE DUDE?
All in all, I just don’t get it. GIVE PAPERBACKS THE HYPE, YO. PERSONALLY, I HAVE TO SAY THAT I PREFER PAPERBACKS WAY MORE THAN HARDBACKS BUT SOMETIMES, THERE ARE BEAUTIFUL COVERS ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE HARCOVER FORMAT. What about you? Hardcovers or Paperbacks? Get rhe discussion heated up in the comments!
P.S: I know. Excuse this very tiny post. I’m actually travelling, so I had to create posts in advance and schedule them. I’ll try to reply to all of your comments whenever possible (haha, by stealing my mom’s data pack) . But know this,I’ll be back in 5 more days! YAY!
That‘s it! Hope y‘all liked this post, please do come back for more!